Monday, January 14, 2013

The Journey Begins

A little fact about myself: I have been to seven different schools.  That means I've been the "new kid" seven different times, and let me tell you, it's NOT easy.  Suddenly, you are thrust into a completely new group of people who look at you like you're some freak of nature who must have some nerve to disturb their norm or who don't even bother to give you a second glance and go on through their lives as if you never existed.  You feel awkward, confused, lost, and really self-concious.  Being in a completely new environment, you have to test the waters--get to know some of the kids and figure out which group you want to be a part of.  You can't, however, just wait for people to come to you.  It is vitally important that you take the initiative to introduce yourself and ease your way into your new world.  No matter how awesome one of the kids seems, you're not going to run up and give them a hug or start acting like you've known them forever.  It's the same way with Christianity.  It's difficult ot just jump right in and expect it to be easy because it's not.  At the same time, you can't just sit back and wait for God to force you into a relationship with Him.  YOU have to start praying, reading your Bible, and easing into this new way of life.  But at the same time, you can't expect to be a perfect Christian right from the start, in part because there's no such thing as a "perfect Christian," considering we are all human and therefore flawed.  Refering back to the "new kid" analogy, when you find someone who seems like a potential friend, you have to work towards developing the friendship--it's not just going to happen.  You have to communicate with the person and spend time with them, getting to know them and building up history.  Likewise, you cannot enter Christianity with the belief that you will immedietly have a close relationship with God.  You must develop you relationship with Him by spending time with Him and talking to Him, which is done by reading His word, praying, and discussing His word with others.  I am not dismissing the possiblity that God might reveal Himself to a person through some spiritual revelation, and the person suddenly has a highly developed relationship with the Lord, but I am saying that YOU have to work at getting to know God.  A good way to get started is to commit to praying at least once a day.  It doesn't have to be a super long, emotional prayer--just tell God how your day was, tell Him what's on your mind, tell Him about anything you're worried about or can't get off your mind.  Try reviewing your day--is there anything you want to ask forgiveness for?  Is there anything you want to thank God for?  I heard this quote once that said,"What if you woke up tomorrow with only the things you thanked God for yesterday."  (I saw the quote on a Facebook picture, so I don't know to whom I should give proper credit)  Really think about that for a second.  I know if I woke up tomorrow with only what I thanked God for today, I would have nothing--no friends, family, housing, food, clothing, or even life. (Remember I am going through this journey myself, so I'm still struggling...a lot).

No comments:

Post a Comment